Saturday, September 24, 2016

Bumpdate: 29 Weeks - Big Scary Changes

So I know I just posted an update last week, but since then we have had another couple ultrasounds and a lot has changed.  I will try to explain as best I can.

So in these last ultrasounds, both babies were active, both bladders visible, and both had normal fluid volumes; which is good.  The size difference in the twins is concerning.  Baby A is now 3 lbs. 1 oz and Baby B is 1 lb. 14 oz.  In the past 3 weeks Baby A grew almost a pound, but Baby B only grew about 5 oz., which is is a lot less than she should be growing.  Another concern is that there is abnormal blood flow in Baby B's umbilical cord.  The doctor thinks that this is due to unequal placental sharing, meaning that Baby B isn't getting quite enough nutrients since she has a smaller share of the placenta.  There is nothing they can do to correct unequal placental sharing, they just have to monitor Baby B really, really closely.  So now I am having to do non-stress tests twice a week to make sure Baby B's heart rate is normal and that she is not in distress.  I also will have weekly ultrasounds to monitor the blood flow in the umbilical cord.  The reason they watch so closely is because Baby B is at risk to be still born.  If that were to happen, Baby A would also be at risk since they share some blood vessels and the placenta.  The goal is to deliver before that can happen. Because of this, I also had to get steroid shots to help the babies' lungs develop faster in the event I have to deliver soon.  The doctor told us to be prepared to deliver as soon as next week, but if not, most likely within the next couple of weeks.  They don't think I will make it to 34 weeks...

I am so scared!  I am scared of keeping them in too long and risking too much stress on Baby B, but it is still sooo early to have them be born!  I just gotta have the faith that the doctors know what they're doing, and that they will make the best choice for the health of my babies and me.  I am so grateful for modern medicine and technology so that we have the best chance to have healthy babies.  I know that everything is ultimately in God's hands and I trust that He is watching over us.

I will try to keep you all updated.  If you could spare a prayer for me, Travis, and the babies, we would be so grateful!  Thanks again for all of the love and support!


*Below is a video explaining unequal placental sharing just in case anyone is interested. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment