Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Bumpdate: 28 Weeks ~ 3rd Trimester!

Hello all!  I decided I would give a quick, little update on the status of our girls and this prego mama!

We'll start with me: I am 28 weeks along with less than 12 weeks to go (as twins come early)!  I am now officially in the third trimester!!!  In a lot of ways, I can't believe how fast time is going!  Not sure I'm ready to take on 2 babies in just a few months!  I am feeling pretty good right now.  My biggest complaints are huge, swollen feet, terrible aftertastes that linger, and some acid reflux.  Tums are my new fave!  I am sure though that pretty soon I will be counting down the days until this pregnancy is over!
As far as other symptoms go, I am always hungry!  I can eat a good meal and an hour later feel like I haven't eaten anything all day!  It is kind of fun being able to out-eat Travis.  I haven't really had any cravings other than I could eat watermelon anytime and anything fruity always sounds good.  So far I have gained about 28 pounds.  Also, I ended up failing my 1-hour glucose test so I had to take the 3-hour glucose test, which I passed!  Just barely though...  Basically, I just have to try to limit the sweets like cookies, candy, ice cream, etc.  All the good stuff... Boo!  But at least I don't have gestational diabetes!

As for the girls... they are doing pretty good!  I feel them every day, but only on my right side or really low.  I think I felt at least one of them have the hiccups for the first time the other night.  Travis has still yet to feel them, but he has seen them kick my stomach.  Every time he puts his hand on my stomach, they decide to stop moving...  Hopefully he'll be able to feel them soon!  At our last ultrasound, the amniotic fluid in each of their membranes looked good and both of their bladders were visible!  Both are good signs and mean that they do not meet the criteria for twin-to-twin-transfusion syndrome.  Let's keep it that way!  They also are measuring within a normal range even though Baby A is a bit bigger than Baby B.  Baby A is 2 lbs. 3oz. and Baby B is 1 lb. 9oz.  So things are moving right along.

The nursery is also coming along.  We have two cribs (one is in our room for now) and just got our changing table.  Both of our cribs were donated from family and the wood matched!  We got our changing table from KSL and it also happened to match!  What are the odds?!  Now we mostly just need to organize and decorate.  Let the nesting begin! :)


All I Want is Sugar Ice Cream Cake


Ingredients
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix (and ingredients listed on the box)
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cartons ice cream
1 tub Cool Whip

Directions
1.  Chop up chocolate chips and set aside.  Mix cake mix according to the directions on box and mix chopped chocolate chips into the batter.
2.  Bake according to the directions on the box using two 8-inch pans.  Make sure to spray the pans with cooking spray prior to cooking!
3.  Once cakes are done cooking, allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then remove from pan and allow cakes to cool completely on wire racks.  Once they are completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer until frozen.
4.  Once cakes are frozen, remove from freezer and cut each one in half horizontally to make 4 cake layers.  Re-wrap in plastic wrap and place back in freezer.
5.  Now we get to soften the ice cream.  It is easiest to work one layer at a time, so you will just use about half a carton of ice cream for now.  I have found that the best way to do this is to get a large bowl and fill it with hot water.  In a slightly smaller bowl, place your ice cream and place that bowl in the bowl of hot water.  I usually just let it sit for a minute or two until it starts melting.  Then I mix it until it is a soft-served consistency.
6.  Take two of the cake layers out of the freezer.  Place one on the plate/tray you'll build the cake on.  Spread the softened ice cream over the cake and then place the second layer over the ice cream.  Put back in freezer.
7.  Repeat steps 5 & 6 until you have all 4 layers of cake with the 3 layers of ice cream in between.  Place back in freezer and allow to freeze until solid.
8.  Once the cake is solid, take out of freezer and spread cool whip all over the cake like frosting.
9.  Now you can garnish the cake with what you want,
10.  Wah-lah! Finished.  Store cake in freezer. :)

Notes:
  • You can use 1, 2, or even 3 different ice cream flavors!  For my cake, I used cookies & cream and Samoas ice creams.
  • You can also get creative with the topping/garnish.  I went with crushed Oreos, but you could use cut-up fruit, chocolate syrup, candy bits, etc.
  • This cake may seem a little daunting, but it's really not too difficult.  Just time consuming.  I would suggest baking and freezing the cake layers a day in advance, so the next day all you have to do is put it together.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment