You may have noticed that in the “About Me” section, it now says
“…Hopeful-Soon-To-Be-Mama…” Surprise! Yes, we have been trying to expand our family
for about 10 months now. We have kept it
pretty quiet until now. There have been a few times I have wanted to tell some of you, but I'm not the greatest at communicating the serious stuff in person. Or over the phone (I hate talking on the phone!). But I'm telling you now!
Anyway... You never think that it is going to take awhile for yourself to get pregnant; just like they teach in high school: if you have unprotected sex, you will get pregnant. I sometimes wish it was that easy for everyone, but in some cases, I’m glad it’s not. Life rarely turns out exactly how you have pictured it. Like I said in my first post, I want to be able to share my experiences so that maybe it can help someone else who reads it, going through the same thing.
Anyway... You never think that it is going to take awhile for yourself to get pregnant; just like they teach in high school: if you have unprotected sex, you will get pregnant. I sometimes wish it was that easy for everyone, but in some cases, I’m glad it’s not. Life rarely turns out exactly how you have pictured it. Like I said in my first post, I want to be able to share my experiences so that maybe it can help someone else who reads it, going through the same thing.
Before I tell the beginning of our story, I just want to say
that I know there are many, many couples who have struggled with infertility
for a lot longer than we have and have gone through much, much more. We haven’t
even officially been diagnosed with infertility, but we definitely know that there
is something not right. And I want to be
open about it from the start because, why not? There is
such a stigma about trying to get pregnant and infertility that it should be
kept hush-hush. But how is that helpful
to anyone? That being said, I will be getting
into some girly details, so if that bothers you, stop reading now. J
Around December of 2014, Travis and I started talking about having
a baby. We weren’t quite ready. We still had some traveling we wanted to do
and I always have to let big decisions sink in for awhile. So we decided that we would start trying in
the spring. So at the end of March 2015,
I got off the pill and we started trying in May. I had done a lot of research on tracking
ovulation and I also read that it could take a few months for my cycle to
regulate after getting off birth control.
My first cycle off of the pill was 24 days. The next one was 33 days and the next one was
36. During this time, I would take
ovulation tests around when I thought I should be ovulating, but they all
always came back negative. I just
figured that I was either doing it wrong or testing at the wrong time. My next cycle was 42 days and I thought for
sure that I was pregnant that time. But
I wasn’t. After a negative pregnancy
test and a period soon after, I knew I wasn’t.
Finally, I knew that something definitely wasn’t right when my next
cycle lasted 140 days! That’s about 4 ½ months! Time after time I would take pregnancy tests
and each time they came back negative. I
can’t describe how heart-breaking it is to repeatedly only see one little line
instead of two. I have cried countless
times on Travis’s shoulder, wondering why I have to wait to be a mother. Why he has to wait to be a father. I guess I haven’t quite mastered the art of
patience yet…
Nothin' in the Oven Cookies
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 tsp vanilla
Handful Heath Toffee bits (optional)
Directions:
In a saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Stir in toffee bits. Drop spoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool until hardened.
Good luck! It isn't easy, but if you need anyone to talk to, I know where you are coming from. You will be in my prayers with good vibes coming your way.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ambo! The circumstances definitely suck, but it's nice to know you know how I feel! Good luck to you as well!
DeleteCourtnie this is like reading my own journal entries.. my problem is PCOS, which basically means I can't ever ovulate naturally. so I had to do the progesterone & Clomid rounds 4 times, each time increasing the dose of clomid to to to induce an ovulation (in between each month I had 2 blood draws per month & 2 ultrasounds per month too so that was nice & pricey) and finally FINALLY after all that we found that the dose of 150mg clomid would induce an ovulation and we obviously have gotten pregnant twice. the best advice I can give you is to literally act like it doesn't matter to you. stressing about not ovulating and not getting pregnant is the enemy of ovulation! it's crazy. but it'll happen for you & Travis, there are countless other medical approaches to infertility (between my sister & I we've basically done it all) so keep your chin up. and also you can aaaaaalways text me if you have any questions. I've become quite the fertility pro unfortunately haha.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your experience, Mandi! I'm happy to know that if I have any questions, you can probably answer them or at least empathize with me!
Deleteit's crazy just how many people I know that struggle with infertility and yet it's still so hush-hush... in fact I know more people that've had problems than ones that haven't. ugh. but I love that you're being so open and strong about this! seriously anytime you need to vent or chat, I'm here ❤️
DeleteThank you so much for sharing this. You'll be in my prayers! Hang in there :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Starla!
Delete